zaterdag 21 april 2012

GULLFEST 2012 (ENGLISH)

Sitting on an island in your swimming trousers seems quite a pleasant way of spending the holidays. This was a bit different. Here I was: stretched out on my new colourful towel, printed with tropical flowers, and a bottle of lotion to protect my delicate body against the burning sun. The temperature was way below my expectations, it was shivering cold. Instantly I was a new world record holder: two square meter of white skin with an amazing 1,2 million goose bumps. Birds enough on the island that was for sure, but not the ones I was expecting: these had the capability to fly. And also Ibiza seemed to have changed a lot since my last visit about ten years ago. I grapped the brochure of The GIRLFEST 2012 to look for the phone number of the travel agency. This journey did not meet my high expectations!

I was about to call them to claim damages, when I saw the real name of the trip: GULLFEST 2012. The high risk of an impuls purchase, too often underestimated. I wasn't on Ibiza, but on the little island of Hornoya in the arctic Barentzsea. This trip was not about girls, but about gulls and other feathery stuff. So far for swimming trousers, sunglasses and cocktails! Binoculars, telescopes and birdbooks were the message!

I was able to adjust myself to the new situation and the trip turned out te be a smashing winner. The stunning scenery, the dogs to pull the sledge, the windows in the wooden houses, the travelling companions, the wingpatterns of the gulls, the evening talks, and last but not least the mammals and birds of the arctic: this is a trip to remember!!

Martin and Sharon, thanks for taking me on this trip!!
Tormod, respect and thanks for showing the world about the birding possibilities in Vardo and Varanger!!

To all readers: if you have the possibility go to Varanger, go to Vardo and go to the Gullfest 2013!!

We all wanted to stay way longer, but after an attack of a killer lemming we just had to run and take the flight back home. Never underestimate a lemming!






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten